Sunday, October 1, 2017

A Tale of Two Mittens...and a Hat

 I love Cephalopod Yarn. Unfortunately, it is discontinued. Every once in a while someone on Ravelry will destash a skein of it. This skein I just happened to find on eBay. I rarely go on eBay, in fact I don't even have an eBay account anymore. However, I was checking out a friend's eBay destash when I thought I'd just put in Cephalopod Yarns and see if anything came up. Surprisingly, there were 4 different listings.
This one is Cephalopod's Skinny Bugga in Ghost Moth. I've actually knitted a hat in Ghost Moth, and loved it, so I bought the skein.
 Light Stripe Mitten by Pauliina Hurme is the mitten pattern I knit. Granted, my mittens do not have stripes and I had to change a little bit of the pattern, but it was an easy and fast knit and worked well with the yarn.

I had to add extra length to the finger portion of the mitten. Apparently I have a freakishly long middle finger. Plus, my long finger made doing a kitchener bind off not doable. Instead I did two rows of k2tog before pulling the yarn through to cinch it closed. I also had to add length to the thumb. I just kept trying the mitten on (while keeping count of the rows knitted) until it finally covered my entire thumb. Then I did two rows of k2tog.
 I am pleased with the mittens. It was an easy and satisfying knit.
 I knit the Wurm Hat back in 2013 with Cephalopod's Ghost Moth. As you can see, the colors don't exactly match up. Of course, four years between dye lots will account for that as well as number of stitches, patterns, etc. Still, I like they way they look together and they go well with my new winter jacket.

No comments: