Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sock it to Ya

Pattern~ How I Make My Socks by Susan B. Anderson. Yarn~ Mountain Colors Crazyfoot in the color Evening Star. This colorway is a dark purple with other colors that pop up. I bought this yarn at the Clever Ewe in Ada. They carry a nice assortment of sock yarns.

 Last year I wanted to give handmade socks as birthday gifts to my family. The first two pairs were made and delivered on time (I wrote about them earlier on the blog). Then I lost my knitting 'mojo' and the last three pair took much longer than they should have done.

I made one sock for my dad and then just stopped. I don't think I knit for a couple of months. I made the kids hats for winter, but that was it. I finally got it together and finished the pair.

 Pattern~ How I Make My Socks by Susan B. Anderson. Yarn~ Cascade Yarns Heritage Paints in the color Thunder. This colorway is shades of blue that I thought would be perfect for wearing with jeans. I also got this yarn from the Clever Ewe.

After I finished my dad's socks I felt like knitting again. My older brother was the next in line for socks. I always use the same sock pattern since it is one I like and it showcases the yarn so well. I got the first season of Shameless from Netflix and watched that while knitting this pair.

Pattern~ How I Make My Socks by Susan B. Anderson. Yarn~ Knit Picks Stroll Hand-Painted in the color Queen Anne. This yarn was picked because it is pink and yellow. My sister-in-law loves pink and her next favorite color is yellow, so this one was perfect. I knit this pair while watching the first season of Queer As Folk on Netflix. Watching a movie or TV show helps me knit faster. I don't know the hows or whys of it, but it works.

I am not sure how well received these socks were. Granted, the socks were delivered well after the birthdays of each person. I got a texted 'thank you' from each person, but that was it. Not everyone likes handmade gifts/socks. This year I am not giving socks. I am keeping them all for me!

No comments: