Monday, January 2, 2012

Last Knit of the Year and Knitting Goals

My last knit of 2011 was Gavin's Roar! hat. I finished it at my mother-in-law's house around 9pm on December 31st. Gavin ran around her house wearing it and roaring like a Dino. I am quite pleased with the way it turned out.

My knitting goals for 2011 were pretty simple. In 2010 I knitted 3 miles, as reported by the handy Knitmeter. For 2011 I wanted to beat that by knitting 4 miles. I beat it all right! I knit just shy of 7 miles, coming in at 6.70 miles. I am pleased...but I wish I could have pushed to get 7. Needless to say, one of my knitting goals for 2012 is to surpass 7 miles. 10 would be great!

Another knitting goal was to knit a pair of socks. I did not knit a pair but I started my first sock before the year ended. Below is the picture evidence of that. I started it and then went back to finishing Gavin's hat.

The final goal set for 2011 was to crochet something. Other than crocheting a chain I have not crocheted anything. I did not meet this goal at all. I did receive a "Learn to Crochet" beginner kit so one of these days I am going to crochet the scarf pattern it comes with.

My first knit of 2012 is a hat for myself. I would have a picture of the finished project, but I've run out of yarn 8 rows shy of finishing. Let me correct that, I have the yarn to finish but it is not rolled into a ball/cake yet. I have a ball winder but not a swift and it makes winding balls so difficult. Mark tries to hold the yarn while I work the ball winder, but somehow we still end up making a mess and cursing a blue streak. Every time I nag Mark into helping me he always ends up asking (almost pleading ;-) how much a swift costs. I'd love a table top swift which are less expensive, but even those cost around $45. My birthday is coming up (in March so not really that soon) and I'm hoping we'll be able to afford one by then. I'm sure my husband would consider it a gift for himself too!


Knitting Goals for 2012:


  • Finish my first pair of socks.

  • Crochet a scarf

  • Knit an afghan for my younger brother

  • Knit at least one sweater for each of my kids (3 or more sweaters!)

  • Knit some baby items (blankets, booties, sweaters) for my 2 pregnant friends

  • Knit more than 7 miles!

Overall, I'm pleased with my knitting of 2011 and I've started out well in 2012. Things are good :-)


No comments: