Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Birthday Monster with a Vest

This morning I awoke to Henry asking me if he could play with Eric's monster. A quick "no" from me as I grabbed my glasses. "Can you make me a monster?" Ugh. I haven't even had a cup of coffee yet. I probably shouldn't have left the birthday monster I made for my nephew on the table last night. When I shuffled into the dinning room the monster was still on the table, not being played with, but it was surrounded by every other monster in this house plus a dog, giraffe, bear and sock monkey.
The monster I made for Eric is a jumble of three monster patterns by Rebecca Danger. I just didn't have it in me to knit another exact pattern, and since I can't get her monster book from the library, I decided to just improvise. It is not the best looking monster, but it is kinda cute. It is made from the leftover yarn that I had from the Christmas monsters. I also made a sweater vest for Eric. This pattern is from the book More Last minute Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. The letter is put on using duplicate stitch after the sweater is finished. Again, I used the yarn I had available here.
For the most part this sweater was an easy knit. Once you get to the arm holes you start having to put stitches on holders. I think at one point I had six holders with stitches. For the arm holes and neck there is no set amount of stitches to pick up. The directions are to pick up 3 stitches for every 4 rows. Not too difficult, but I like to know about how many I should have. Still, I like this little vest and I think I will make one for each of my kids.

I finally finished up the cowl I had been making for my sis-in-law, Kaye. It is made with the one ball of brushed baby alpaca yarn that I had hanging around. It is not very long, but it is very soft and I think it will be warm as well.

I also made a hat for my brother Matt. Again, it is made from the leftover yarn. The pattern is Welldigger Hat from Ravelry. So easy to make and I love the way it looks. My picture is not good and doesn't not show this hat off. It looks cool and it did not take a lot of time.

Henry wants me to make him a Hippo. I am waiting for two pattern books from the library. Each has a Hippo pattern and I'll let him decided which he wants. He wants the Hippo to be red which is good since I do have some leftover red yarn hanging around. Of course, now he wants me to make him a Louie the Lovebot while we wait for the pattern books. Sooooooo not gonna happen.
I told the hubby that I am doing selfish knitting for a while. I have a ruffled scarf that I started months ago and that is what I'm going to work on. Plus, I have my first socks to make. I will be the one sitting in the corner petting my yarn while whispering "Mine. All mine." Well, I will be until the darn library books come!

No comments: