Wednesday, January 11, 2012

First Knit of 2012

The first knit of 2012 was the Meret or Mystery Beret. I used the stitch makers to help keep track of where I was. This is important when the 6 year old and 4 year old start fighting at the same time as the 2 year old wants to ride on the back of the dog.
I liked the look of the 1 inch of stockinette stitch followed by 1 inch of 2x2 ribbing. Then in the pattern I repeated the openwork chart one extra time. I wish I had repeated it twice because the hat isn't quite as slouchy as I would have liked. Still, when (and if) the snow flies I will be glad to have the hat! I need to have Mark take pictures of me. I could not get a good angle. The yarn used is the Stonehedge Fiber Mill Shepherd's Wool. Still love this wool! Any yes, somehow we managed to roll the yarn into a ball. If you read my last post about running out of yarn with 8 rows to go you know that I have the worst luck winding yarn. I don't have a swift so I do it by hand, usually with some mixed results. This time Mark held the yarn while I rolled it into a ball. I'm hoping to use the ball winder to make the remaining yarn into a cake.

I've also knit a quick pair of mittens to use as a gift. The person I was going to give them to never came over so I now have a pair of mittens made out of Lion Brand Jiffy yarn. Current knitting project has been set aside (again) while I knit a sweater vest and monster for my nephew's 4th birthday. Since I still cannot afford to purchase yarn I am using leftover yarn from hat and monster projects. Not the best yarn, but at least it is something!


1 comment:

Nicole said...

I love beret! Heck, I love hats!

Believe me, my hands cramp up. After Christmas and the rush to finish those monsters my hands hurt so much. I took three days and did no knitting whatsoever. I read quite a few books instead :-)