Sunday, April 8, 2012

A tale of Three Easter Sweaters

I did manage to make each of the kids a sweater for Easter. I actually finished Gavin's Saturday and was sewing buttons on all three Saturday night. My poor fingers were like pin cushions!
Gavin and Henry's sweater is Tama by Kelly Brooker. It is started as a piece that you knit back and forth. Lots of stitch markers are used to mark off the front, back and sleeve stitches. This is great because you keep track of stitch counts so much easier. Once you reach the correct number of stitches you out the sleeve stitches on a past a waste yarn. Then the first 4 stitches and the last 4 stitches are knit together, turning 8 stitches into 4. Now, it is one piece and is knit in the round until the appropriate length. The sleeves are knit after and can be made short or long.
Only the top button is functioning. I picked out the top buttons for the sweaters so that they all matched. I let the kids choose what they wanted for the other buttons.
Irene's sweater is the sister pattern to the Tama. It is Hine by Kelly Brooker. The construction is basically the same. The neck is higher and is knit in ribbing just like the sleeve and bottom edges. The sleeves are knit in a lace pattern and I just love how it looks!
Gavin picked out dinosaur buttons. He loves dinosaurs and I had a hard time getting him to let me sew these on the sweater!
Henry picked out red airplanes. I wasn't sure about the color, but it is his sweater and if he wants red then he gets red :-)
Irene picked out seashell buttons. After some thought, she settled on purple and yellow ones.
I highly recommend these patterns. I bought them together in an e-book for $8. The size only goes up to a 6 but it starts 12-18 month and gives you seven sizes total. It also gives the pattern in different yarn weight. I used the worsted weight pattern and used Bernat Satin yarn.

No comments: