Monday, June 6, 2011

Victorian Lace

I participated in another swap on Ravelry. This one was the Victorian Lace Scarf Swap. In this swap we were partnered up. My partner was sending to me and I to her. This was fine but I admit to being a slacker until my partner said she was making my scarf over Memorial weekend. Then I finally started the scarf for her even though I had the yarn for quite some time. My partner made my scarf out of Cotton Fleece which is 80% cotton and 20% Merino wool. The color is Oriental Jade which is a kind of blue/green color. In the picture it looks more blue. The yarn is very soft and either it blocks beautifully or my partner has great skill in blocking pieces. It looks perfect. She also included a candle that smells fantastically of Hydrangea. Love it!

The scarf I made is out Blue Sky Alpacas Skinny Dyed, 100% organically grown cotton. The color is coral. I must say that my skills in blocking are seriously lacking. The yarn was nice to work with and did well with this pattern. My partner is a big Tweety Bird fan so I included a Tweety Bird hot pad and towel.


In this pattern the stitch count changes every other row. I found that counting the stitches after every lace row was a great way to keep on track. Plus, when the directions are in chart form only, don't go by the directions that someone else has written out from that chart. There were several mistakes and after several false starts I finally went through the chart and wrote that pattern out for myself. That was all it took!


Swap wise, this swap was very quiet. No one chatted on the forums and the partners didn't communicate much. I'm used the the A Swap in Time group which requires check-ins halfway through. Plus, there are several forums in the group to chat about upcoming swaps or what we'd like to see in the next swap. That group is extremely well run. I highly recommend it!

No comments: